Sing With Us!
Sat. May 18, 7:30 pm All Souls Church, 399 Main St., Greenfield MA. With Tina and Her Pony. Tickets at World Eye Bookshop, Greenfield.
Open Rehearsals for singers interested in exploring membership in Fiery Hope! 7pm on Tuesdays June 4th + 11th and Sept. 10th + 17th. Temple Israel, 27 Pierce St., Greenfield, MA.
Sat. Sept 21, 7:30 pm 1794 Meetinghouse, New Salem, MA. To benefit Playing for Change Foundation. Coincides with International Day of Peace!
Recent past performances:
- Ongoing: Programs at Franklin Co. Jail (for men and women)
- April 27: Community Seder, 100 Black Birch Trail, Florence
- March 23: Community concert with Jane Sapp, gospel singer, educator, activist
- Dec. 1: Northampton Holiday Stroll to raise funds for Cot Shelter Program
- Jan. 30: Free & open-to-all Community Sing, Greenfield, MA.
- Dec. 9: Memorial celebration of Elizabeth Farnsworth, Unitarian Society of Northampton & Florence, Northampton, MA
- Dec. 5: Soldier On [women veterans], Leeds, MA (private)
- Dec. 3: Lasell Village [elder community], Newton, MA
- Dec. 2: Northampton Holiday Stroll, Northampton, MA. Proceeds to Interfaith Cot Shelter.
- October 18: Public conversation with Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum, author of best-selling Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria, and Other Conversations about Race–Edwards Church, Northampton, MA
- April 2: Two Amandla’s spring concerts (family and general audience). Raised $500 for the Center for New Americans—Shea Theater, Turners Falls, MA
- March 30: 10th Annual Power of Women event—Greenfield Community College, Greenfield, MA
- February 16: Benefit for Child Haven International–All Souls Church, Greenfield, MA
- May 12: 30th Anniversary Concert, with special guests, Eshu Bumpus, Dan Tinen, Margaret O’Connor. Benefit in support of Stone Soup Café and the Pioneer Valley Workers Center.
- July 28: We performed Eveline MacDougall’s original song, “Malala,” at an appearance of Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai!—Dunkin’ Donuts Center, Providence, RI
- July 26: Concert, “Freedom’s a Beautiful Song”—Shea Theater, Turners Falls, MA
- April 30: Spring Concert with special guest: Evelyn Harris—Northampton, MA
- March 19: Spring Concert with special guests Dan Tinen and Margaret O’Connor—Greenfield, MA
- February 6: Greenfield Winter Farmers’ Market, Greenfield, MA
- May 16 & 17: Annual Spring concert in collaboration with Fire Pond. Raised $500 to benefit The Literacy Project and $500 for the Greenfield Farmers Market SNAP incentive program
- March 24: Sing-along of civil rights music to celebrate the life of Juanita Nelson—Greenfield, MA
No two Amandla events are alike. We perform with as few as four singers or as many as 40 in a wide variety of settings. We bring our audience on an emotional journey: from boundless excitement to heartrending grief to contemplative stillness and back to joy. Amandla concert-goers have called the experience spiritual. Here are examples of our rich performance history:
The Center for New Americans • Literacy Project • Greenfield Farmers Market SNAP Program • Holyoke Rehabilitation Center • Orphanages in Northern India and Haiti • Just Roots & Grow Food Northampton • Pioneer Valley War Tax Refusers • Walk for World Peace • Peace Pagoda • Earth Day events • National Child Rights Alliance • Massachusetts Rainforest Action Group • Tibetfest • AIDS Events • Traprock Peace Center • South African Daycare Center • Pioneer Valley South African Family • Swords Into Plowshares • Mental Health Awareness Events • Giving Tree School (Gill, MA) • Mothers in Prison • Mediation Conference • NELCWIT • Western Massachusetts Prison Interest Group • Sojourner Health Center (VT) • Survival Center (Amherst, MA) • Voices for Darfur • Meals on Wheels • Karuna Center for Peacemaking • Greenfield Public Library • Stone Soup Café • Pioneer Valley Workers Center
Celebration of life for Nelson Mandela • Soweto Commemoration • Hiroshima-Nagasaki Commemoration • MLK Day Services • Take Back the Night Marches • Rallies Following Violence/Murders/Hate Crimes • “Bridge to Selma” • Atomic Cabaret (Greenfield, MA) • Art and Social Justice Conference • Post-Desecration of Temple Israel (Greenfield, MA) • Reflections of Auschwitz • Peoples’ Music Network • International Human Rights Day • Veterans’ Day • Underground Railroad Educational Series • Wally Nelson Centenary Celebration • “350” Day
memorial services • weddings • baby-welcomings • hospital visits • nursing home visits • head injury unit at Holyoke Rehabilitation Center • bat/bar mitzvahs • graduation parties • people at life’s end • anniversaries • birthdays • schools and universities in MA, VT, and NH • church services • prisons in MA, CT, and NY • soup kitchens and shelters • community meals • workshops for women survivors of trauma • film soundtrack • peace vigils/rallies/protests
Opened or Appeared With
Malala Yousafzai • Evelyn Harris, formerly of Sweet Honey in the Rock • Dan Tinen • Libana • Dr. Horace Clarence Boyer • Tom Paxton • Allan Boesak • Jim Wallis • Jane Sapp • Barwa • Nelson Mandela • Fred Small • Charlie King • Pete Seeger • Archbishop Desmond Tutu • Cesar Chavez • Wally and Juanita Nelson • Martín Espada • Pioneer Valley Gay Men’s Chorus • Fire Pond
Opening performance at Dunkin Donuts Center with Malala Yousafzai • Lincoln Center with Pete Seeger • Clearwater Festival • Esplanade – Hatch Shell (Boston) Rally to Welcome Nelson Mandela • MassMOCA